NaNoWriMo 2011

National Novel Writing Month or "NaNoWriMo" is a writer's challenge that started a little over a decade ago.  It goes for the entire month of November and challenges authors to write 50,000 words of a new novel.  If you want to be super official about the whole thing, you're supposed to register on the NaNoWriMo website and keep track of your progress.

I'm not a super official kind of person.  Plus, I always forget to update progress bars and stuff.  And I don't write novels.  However, I believe that the spirit of NaNoWriMo is to really push yourself as a writer.  In other words: set a challenging goal for yourself for the month.

So I'm going to have my own little NaNoWriMo challenge for myself but it's going to be for a new novella.  I've recently outlined one but have yet to really get started on it.  So I figure this is as good a time as any to get my rear in gear.

My novellas tend to average about 20,000 words.  So my goal is to write 10,000 words into my new novella.  Sure, it may not be very much for some writers.  But I like to mull.  I'll mull over a short story for a month before I finally sit down and write it.  So considering my writing habits and work schedule for the month (it's gonna be crazy), I feel like 10,000 words would be a good challenge for me.

Anyone else taking on any writing goals for the month?

Comments

  1. I'm giving it a go this year. My plan (which so far is at least on track) is to do an anthology of 3 short pieces of works - a novella and a couple of novelettes.

    So far I've been moving between the novella and one of the novelettes and have made good progress (about 11K between the two).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doin' good! At this exact moment in time I am at 1,551 words. So I'm more or less staying on schedule.

    Are you keeping track of your progress on the site?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to - but I always seem to run out of time....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Hundred Eyes

Review of "Ferryman" by Nigel Edwards

Interview with Author Hugh Howey