Guest blog on the concept behind "The Chemist," a short story by Chris Blewitt

The Chemist is based on a true story from the 1920's Prohibition era.  About a year or so ago, I came across an article about something that happened in 1926.  It was a story of corruption that was shocking to me.  I thought to myself that this would be a great movie.  In fact, I was surprised that it wasn't a movie already!  I found myself obsessed over this story and scanned the Internet to find more information.  My mind wandered and pretty soon I had the concept for The Chemist.  I had already written a novel, Deep Rough, and was working on my second one, but I could not wait to tell this story.  So I thought, how about a short story.  I probably could have made this into a full-length novel, but I felt that the short story portrayed the event so much better.  It's filled with action from beginning to end.  My beta-readers loved the story and were disappointed it was so short!

I'm extremely happy how The Chemist turns out.  There is also an interview in the back of the story with a PhD in Chemistry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Hundred Eyes

Review of "Ferryman" by Nigel Edwards

Interview with Author Hugh Howey